Table of Contents
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder Reviews for 2018
- PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder Review
- PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder Review
- LUSMO pet food Auto feeder Review
- Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Review
- Dr.Feeder Automatic Pet Feeder Review
- Petnet SmartFeeder Review
- PetSafe Six Meal Automatic Pet Feeder Review
- Furbo Dog Camera Review
- SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder Review
- Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder Review
- What is an Automatic Dog Feeder?
- Why Use an Automatic Dog Feeder?
- Types of Automatic Dog Feeders
- Important Tips to Consider Before Selecting an Automatic Dog Feeder
Look no further: in this article, I’ll show you the best automatic feeders so your best friend misses only your gentle touch and love, but not food.
There’s no question our homes wouldn’t be the same without our pets: dogs keep our houses filled with fur, hair, and love.
But what happens when we have to make a long trip or have special feeding needs?
Best Automatic Dog Feeder Reviews for 2018
PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder Review
And if you have to leave your house, what’s best than controlling and monitoring your best friends feeding habits with the same device you carry around all day? As easy as it sounds, this feeder lets you check on your pet’s meal with an app that lets you do all sort of things: from the “Feed now” option that lets you skip scheduled foods, opening, and closing latches, receive notifications of when your pet has actually eaten its food, and even keep track of the past two weeks eating habits.
In order to use the app, PetSafe Smart Feed requires an Apple device that can run iOS 9.0 or later, or a compatible Android smartphone with access to 5.0 or later.
Besides the amazing design and comfortable functionality of handling your pets needs with just a touch on your phone, the feeder is easy to use and even easier to keep clean.
- If using a smartphone to control your pet’s needs isn’t a strong point, we don’t know what it is.
- Works on Android and Apple.
- You can monitor your pet’s eating habits and plan accordingly.
- Comes with power adapter.
- Doesn’t work on Windows Mobile.
- The feeder must only be used indoors.
- It’s a bit expensive.
If you’re a techie or a person who can’t stay away from its smartphone and can spare a few more dollars, this is the one you should buy.
PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder Review
Gone are the days of carefully planning how much and when you should leave food for your dog: with this feeder you can program an astounding 12 meals a day with portion sizes ranging from 1/8 to 4 cups.
The Slow Feed mode also prevents the most glutton ones from gulping and vomiting, dispensing meals of a great size with a 15 minutes span.
This smart device also has a conveyor system that dispenses both dry and semi-moist foods of different shapes and sizes without mixing them and comes with a pet-proof dispenser that stops curious paws from destroying the lids should they try to reach for even more food.
Besides, it comes with a stainless steel bowl that can be easily disassembled for washing and is way more hygienic than a plastic one –as any dog owner knows-.
The automatic feeder has an easy to use LCD screen that tells you how it is programmed and which of the multiple feeding modes is activated.
With its easy and quick set up and cleaning, portion control, and high customization.
options, if you’re schedule doesn’t necessarily fit the feeding needs of your dog, this is a device that will change your life and improve your best friend’s.
Read more reviews about PetSafe Healthy on Amazon
PetSafe Healthy Pros:
- Insane amount of customizations: up to 12 meals a day keeps the vet away!
- Dry and semi-moist foods kept apart.
- Easy to use and wash.
- Requires batteries which are not included.
- If you want to use a power adapter, you must get it somewhere else.
This is the best way to go if you want to keep things simple and easy for you and your best pal.
LUSMO pet food Auto feeder Review
This dispenser lets you set the amount of food you serve in each meal, and it can hold up to one kilogram of food, making it ideal for tiny dogs.
It has a special structure design called Hairibu that makes it especially difficult for bugs and insects to crawl in and contaminate your dog’s food.
You can set apart different times within minutes, and if that doesn’t suit you, simply touching a button allows you to set it on manual mode and feed him yourself if you are at home.
Serving sizes range between 5 and 80 grams but can be modified by changing the hood size.
Read more reviews about LUSMO on Amazon
- A nice artsy touch that will lighten up any kitchen.
- It has a structure that makes it difficult for bugs to enter the food recipient.
- It only works on batteries.
- You can only use dry food, leaving canned and wet food out of the question.
- It states that you also shouldn’t use dry food of a large size, considerably narrowing your options.
If you’re the artsy and cool kind of person, go for it.
However, it has more complications than solutions, forcing you to spend often on batteries and on a specific kind of dry food.
Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Review
With this dispenser, even if you aren’t there, your buddy can actually hear you calling him to do so since it allows you to record a personal meal call that can last up to 10 seconds.
But that’s not all: this dispenser can customize the eating experience to a high extent, allowing you to choose between one and ten portions per meal and set up to four daily distribution alarms.
It has a blue light LCD clock with easily adjustable settings, and most importantly, its lid has a magnetic lock that prevents hungry dogs from eating more than they should.
This makes it a valuable device for those pups on a restriction diet.
And if you happen to have a big and hungry dog, Arf Pets Dispenser has a fully customizable feeder that allows your dog to be well fed all day long.
Arf Pets Pros:
- Recording your own call to eat is a lovely touch for an automatized dispenser.
- You can customize the feeder size to fit every dog’s needs.
- Includes power cord, and if it doesn’t suit your needs, you can use batteries.
- Some customers complained that the lid isn’t actually magnetic.
- If the dog doesn’t eat, it will regardless pour the following meal, resulting in a food overflow
While it doesn’t provide a second-to-second following like those fancy feeders with an app and WiFi connections, Arf Feeder is a fine product if your dog’s eating habits are regular: if not, you may come home and find a swimming pool of dog food.
Dr.Feeder Automatic Pet Feeder Review
However, if the Doctor is named Feeder, you might be up to something else, such as listening to what your four-legged pals is doing back at home.
This automated feeder has a built-in two-way audio communication system with an included camera, that means you can talk to your dog and let him know how much you love him, even if you aren’t at home.
Dr. Feeder includes an app that lets you bypass what you’ve programmed and fed your pet whenever you want to.
It also includes a memory card storage that allows you to record your conversations, so if a day comes when your dog actually talks back at you, there’s evidence to support your claim.
It has a very convenient size, and its design allows it to be easily cleaned up.
- Talking to your dog from a distance has never been so easy.
- Even with its small size, it can store an amazing amount of food.
- Some customers complained that there’s a significant amount of static noise in the conversations.
- Doesn’t support Windows Mobile.
- The memory card isn’t included.
With its simple design an easy-to-use interface, Dr. Feeder is an appropriate choice if you have a small dog or don’t plan to be away for too long.
You shouldn’t leave your pal for that long, anyway.
Petnet SmartFeeder Review
Petnet has automatized every step of the way: the app gives you daily notifications of meals served, warns you when you’re running out of food, and if that happens, it has a beta service of pet food delivery, with some special recipes.
Those recipes are custom made, providing the best nutrition possible directly to your door.
If this isn’t enough, it has an amazing feature: it is smart in every sense.
It has a software that learns your pet’s habits, keeps track of its nutrition and creates recipes with ingredients tailored to your best friends height, weight, age, level of activity and breed.
On top of that, you don’t even have to touch your phone: it works with Amazon Alexa, which means that you can directly command it to do whatever you want.
This is truly an amazing era to be alive – and your dog will surely think the same.
- Custom made recipes, ensuring your dog gets exactly what it needs.
- Full automatization that allows you to make the smartest decisions.
- No more “guessing”: Petnet tells you how much food does your pet need and when should it receive it.
- SmartDelivery is in beta, and not all food recipes are available.
- It doesn’t work with Windows Mobile.
- Some customers said that wet food might clog the device.
While promising more than it can deliver, Petnet will surely be groundbreaking.
If you are also an Amazon Alexa user, you might want to give it a try.
PetSafe Six Meal Automatic Pet Feeder Review
This one’s a bit simpler than the others: as its name states, it allows you to prepare six pre-portioned meals and set up when will each one of them be served.
It has a nice carrousel-like design, whose turning and dropping prevents your dog from stealing his own next food.
Each tray slot can hold a cup of food –that can be dry or wet, according to your pet’s needs- and also allows you to serve an extra food ration with the cutely called FeedNow Button that turns the carousel for an extra serving.
This option is so well designed that also remembers the other scheduled meals, so your pal’s eating agenda won’t be disturbed.
- Simple to use, even easier to dismantle and wash.
- FeedNow button that allows you to treat your dog if it’s been a super good boy.
- The included bowl can be replaced with your dog’s original one for an easy transition.
- Runs only on batteries.
- Some customers complained that the timer tends to fail.
- The serving sizes are best suited for tiny dogs, larger ones will surely be hungry.
This is a great and cheap option for those who don’t need extreme customization options and have small dogs.
If six meals of anticipation are good enough for you, go for it!
Furbo Dog Camera Review
While it remains a 1080p HD camera with night vision, the tall, and angular structure is holding plenty of other amazing features inside.
Its design is to specifically help dog owners’ check on their pets while away, and the two-way microphones is a definite excellent addition to speak to your pup.
Additionally, you can watch a live feed and even toss them treats automatically.
A Furbo Premium account could also allow you to save your dog’s favorite footage, set barking alerts and take pet selfies.
And the best aspect is strategically placing the Furbo Dog Camera and get to watch out for any intruders coming in.
- Robust product construction
- Interactive treat dispensing
- Excellent video quality
- Auto-barking detection and push notifications
- Poor quality microphone and speaker system.
- Treat dispenser jams easily
The Furbo Dog Camera is a beautiful device for monitoring your dog through the Furbo App and connectivity to Amazon Alexa for media data storage.
Overall, Furbo is likely to fall into a luxury dog device despite packing great treat dispensing and video quality.
SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder Review
SureFeed has thought of this and offers you a handy solution: it reads implanted identification microchips and accurately ensures each designated pet gets his own plate.
This design prevents dogs from stealing each other food, which is also important if one of those has special feeding needs, such as prescription food or a designated diet.
This makes it an excellent choice for those chubby pets on weight management diet, and its compatibility with every microchip available in the world and SureFlap RFID collar tags even makes possible for you to receive a furry visitor at your house and make sure he also gets its share of food.
You may be asking “I have more than two pets! What should I do?”.
Have no fear: SureFeed can remember up to 32 different collars/microchip and make sure that only the right one can open the lid, whose design ensures that food is kept fresh, dry and prevents flies and other bugs from entering it.
SureFeed Microchip Pros:
- If you have two dogs or more, this feeder can be your salvation.
- It is compatible with every microchip available worldwide.
- The lid is sealed unless the right pet comes along, which stops flies and bugs from entering it.
- If your dog isn’t microchipped, this won’t be of any use.
- Some users claimed they have to put the feeder in very specific positions in order to prevent food stealing when the two dogs eat at the same time.
If you have two dogs and each one of those has an identification microchip, this should be highly useful.
If not, keep looking.
Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder Review
It allows you to customize pretty much anything: it lets you set one time or regular feeding schedules, you can shift between dry and wet food (and even medication!) and it even gives you the option to choose different profiles if you have different pets.
Its swift and elegant design blends perfectly anywhere, actually looking like something Apple itself may have created.
It comes with a built-in webcam and microphone and is built in a way that your pet is totally unable to open it and eat more than he should.
The webcam can be accessed anytime, so if you miss your best friend and want to check it out, you can do it with just a click on your smartphone.
And if this isn’t enough, you can also record your loved ones a message to let them know that it’s supper time and how much you love them.
Feed and Go Pros:
- You can serve dry and wet food as well as medication.
- The app is simple and easy and lets you check your pets anywhere, anytime.
- You can record them a message.
- The app doesn’t run on Windows Mobile.
- The size seems to be quite small, so large dogs won’t get the most out of it.
- The webcam only works in well-lit environments.
It is pretty obvious that no machine or automatic feeder can replace the human touch and love you can give to your pet.
However, if you need to, these easy devices will simplify the task of feeding them if you have to be apart from them.
With a wide array of prices and high-end technologies, there will always be an option that suits your needs –and your four-legged friend’s ones-.
What is an Automatic Dog Feeder?
An automatic dog feeder is a type of feeder that dispenses food without you having to work it manually.
It works by using either gravity or a programmed electronic mechanism.
Some electronic automatic feeders will even incorporate a WiFi functionality that lets you track and control your dogs feeding through a smartphone.
Automatic dog feeders consist of a hopper made of plastic or glass, and a bowl made of either plastic, stainless steel or ceramic.
The food that’s to be dispensed is contained in the hopper, and the bowl is where your dog eats from.
Once food is input in the hopper, the rest of the process is automatic, with food being released into the bowl at the set time intervals.
Why Use an Automatic Dog Feeder?
Automatic feeders are useful if you’re not always available to feed your dog.
It could be that you work away from your home for the most part of the day, or you’re moving out for a short time, and you have no one to feed your pet.
Also, if you want to control the portions your dog eats to manage its weight, especially if it’s diabetic, an automatic feeder comes in handy.
The automatic feeders are also necessary for pet owners who are unable to feed their dogs, either because they’re disabled, or they’re advanced in age to move around much.
Benefits of Automatic Dog Feeders
- They allow you to travel without worry
- You can work and still keep your pet dog
- When it comes to leaving your dog with someone who is, for some reason, unable to move around, an automatic feeder comes to your rescue
- You do not need to ask an unwilling friend or relative to feed your dog when you’re away
- Using an automatic pet feeder, you can easily control the amount to feed your dog and when to
- Electronically programmable automatic feeders measure the food amount for you, so it’s neither too much nor too little
- There are not too many feeding items to wash such as bowls, measuring cups, and others
- Your dog doesn’t starve when you’re away
Types of Automatic Dog Feeders
They come in two types; gravity and electronic feeders.
Gravity feeders are rapidly moving out of the market as the more versatile electronic dispensers become the most preferred by pet owners.
Gravity Pet Feeders
They work by the action of gravity and are not as complex as the other types of automatic feeders.
When the dog eats from the bowl, gravity causes food to drop into the bowl.
This happens until the bowl fills up, after which the hopper stops dispensing.
The process repeats every time the dog eats from the bowl so long as the hopper contains food to be dispensed.
The main advantage of gravity feeders is that they’re not prone to failure.
On the other hand, this type of feeder can lead to overeating since the bowl always contains food.
It can be undesirable when you want to control overeating for your obese dog.
Electronic Pet Feeders
They work by means of an electronic mechanism that allows you to pre-program it to dispense food according to your preference.
You can set it to dispense pre-programmed portions and at set times.
Electronic feeders are popular because they allow you more control over what amount your pet eats and at what time.
With these feeders, you can easily check the weight of your dog as well as control weight-related conditions like diabetes.
Because you can set the feeding to consist of small portions at regular intervals, these electronic feeders allow for better digestion and better health for your pet.
A disadvantage with electronic pet feeders is their being prone to errors.
Electronic configurations can and do fail.
It can result in your dog going without a meal when the feeder fails to dispense, or the feeder dispensing too much and making the dog overeat.
Important Tips to Consider Before Selecting an Automatic Dog Feeder
When looking for an automatic feeder to purchase, you want a feeder that will suit the needs of your particular pet, and one that will serve you for long without breaking down.
You want a feeder with features that make feeding your dog more convenient and without worry.
Here are the things to look out for in a top automatic dog feeder.
1. Easy to set up and, if electronic, easy to programme.
2. An airtight food reservoir; air makes kibble to go bad within a short time.
3. Easy to clean to ensure proper hygiene for your pet dog.
4. Ability to dispense food portions of varying sizes and amounts.
It allows the feeder to be used to feed a dog of any size.
5. An option that will enable you to program the feeder to dispense several meals in a day.
Scheduling small regular meals for your dog then becomes easy.
6. Ability to adjust feeding speeds to be in line with the habit of the dog.
A slow speed suits a dog that eats too quickly.
7. Large capacity for the food reservoir so that you don’t need to keep filling it every other time.
A large food space is useful when you have to be away for long.
8. Anti-jam properties so that the feeder doesn’t fail just when you’re not around to fix it.
9. Heavy and made of strong materials to avoid your dog knocking it over when feeding.
Strong materials, especially for the plastic parts, ensure the parts don’t break and pose a threat to your dog.
10. Additional features that improve the feeders functionality and convenience.
They include WiFi connectivity that lets you control almost everything using your smartphone, from scheduling feed times to setting food amount and ordering for more food.
The additional features also include a camera to look at your dog and a microphone-speaker function that lets you speak to the dog remotely.
Downsides to Using an Automatic Dog Feeder
While automatic feeders offer great convenience, they come with some disadvantages.
The bond that develops between you and your dog when you manually feed it wanes and the dog starts to show more interest in the feeder, especially when angry.
When you depend on an automatic feeder, the time you spend with your dog becomes less, and you find that you lack time to train it.
Automatic dog feeders can also malfunction and fail to dispense food.
If you’re away when that happens, it can mean your pet missing a meal.
Automatic dog feeders are great to have in the house.
They give you the freedom to attend to other activities while not neglecting the feeding needs of your dog.
They come in cool designs, which makes pleasant to have in the house.
When purchasing automatic dog feeder for large breeds or small, ensure it has the features that enhance its function and durability.